16 August 2011

Paging Nehemiah Scudder, your boat is here...

Anyone remember revolt in 2100?  Personally, I've always preferred the cult in Stranger in a Strange Land that was cool with sex drugs and rock and roll as long as it was done under church auspices, but I really think America will head the other (significantly less fun) direction with it's theocracy.

And we are going to have one, it's just a matter of time. And not a very long time, either:
Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a possible contender for the Republican presidential nomination, has summoned the nation's governors to participate in "The Response," which he calls "a non-denominational, apolitical, Christian prayer service." The assembly, scheduled for August, has elicited indignation from the secular left, who decry the event as an unwarranted mingling of church and state.
It's not just us crazy atheists who are saying this stuff, either. Pastor types are claiming it was god that made Perry governor of Texas, and will likely make him president. (There was nothing about god making Perry's political opponents look like stark raving loons, or act like inept children, maybe it was satan...) These are the people that think god has a cosmic thermostat and is purposely fucking with us to "cause every knee to bow."

"Yesterday morning as I stood in the kitchen the Lord stopped me mid stride and said, "I am going to turn up the heat".  I felt this was not in the context of actual temperatures but in events that will cause pressure.  I also heard him say, "It is not the faithful remnant's attention I am going to get.  I will cause every knee to bow. "  I could see in the spirit that when there is no place else to go even those who do not, or will not, believe will have to come to him.

These are people who report hearing and seeing hallucinations as straight news.  Awesome.


Good Riddance, assholes!

Where am I going with this?  Who the hell knows.  I'm venting, which is really what this whole blog is about, since I'm pretty sure I'm shouting into an echo chamber here.  I'm annoyed that we're not adult enough to elect a fiscal conservative who's not a god botherer, or at the very least, not an in-your-face god botherer. It's like you have to either spend all the money on welfare or send it to the church.  There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment